Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow Mystery Solved
















When I returned home from Atlanta on Friday after missing the two 12"-plus snowstorms last week, I wondered who or what had cleared the snow from 3d Street as far as my driveway, but no farther. Yesterday, I heard engine noise and discovered the answer to that mystery.









Turns out that one of the men who are working on expanding a house across 3d street was using a Bobcat to move a mountain of snow from the other side of the street, dumping it by the side of my house. I was concerned that he might be dumping it on my boxwood bushes, which I'm sure are taking a beating under all the snow and would not be improved by dumping more snow and ice on them, so I went down to take a look.









When he saw me, he stopped his motor. I said I'd been away last week and when I returned and saw that half of the sidewalk had been covered by snow plowed from the street, I knew that I'd never be able to shovel it. He was very defensive, explaining that he had had to get to work last week. He added that he was moving a mountain of snow from in front of the driveway of the house next to the one that he was working on because they thought he had put the mountain of snow there. No, he explained, the county had already left half of the snow there. He didn't say who had put the rest of the snow there -- could it have been him? Why, he was just performing a neighborly gesture by taking a break from his workday to move the snow that he had not deposited in front of their driveway. He also immediately said that he would not dump any snow on my bushes.









As long as he wasn't going to bury my boxwoods further, and as long as I was not going to be able to dig out the sidewalk from the snow already plowed onto it from the street to make room for parking, there was no good reason to tell him to dump the accumulated snow in front of the house he was working on, rather than next to my house. I guess he had'd heard the pleas of the local governments for citizens to get out and clear the sidewalks. I feel guilty about leaving the piles of ice and snow on the stretch of sidewalk between my driveway and the corner, but I can't handle all that extra snow shoveling by hand, either. Sorry, Arlington.

No comments: